Back to the basics. Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows how to use essential oils or why they would want to for that matter. For me and my family it's a matter of feeling empowered with natural solutions we can turn to and/or try before running to the doctor, reaching for an over-the-counter med or suffering through an ailment.
Using essential oils doesn't have to be complicated. With some basic knowledge of some safety tips, you can find ways to incorporate essential oils into your daily routine. The top 3 ways to use doTERRA essential oils are aromatically, topically and internally. Here are some additional tips for each of those three ways...
AROMATICALLY - There are multiple ways to achieve this; directly from the bottle or using a room or jewelry diffuser are great ways to benefit from those essential oil compounds. Aromatically we can improve the air quality throughout our homes or office and manage mood - for whatever you're seeking - uplifting, calming, etc.
Additional aromatic uses For Essential Oils Include:
- Apply oil to a cotton ball and place in the air vents of your vehicle
- Mix oils in a spray bottle with water and mist over furniture, carpet, or linens
- Add oil to a batch of laundry or to dryer sheets
- Use in household surface cleaners
TOPICALLY - Essential oils are great to rub directly onto the skin. A great place to start is on the bottoms of your feet - large pores enable the oils to absorb quickly into the blood stream. Depending on the need, you can apply essential oils neat (undiluted) or diluted in a carrier oils (such as fractionated coconut oil). When applying to kiddos always dilute with a 2:1 ratio and 4:1 for babies.
Beneficial Areas You Can Apply Essential Oils:
- Forehead and temples
- Chest and abdomen
- Arms, legs, bottom of feet
Other Effective Methods of Topical Application:
- Add a few drops of oil to a warm bath
- Make a hot or cold compress by soaking a towel or cloth in water, adding essential oils, and then applying to the desired area
- Add oil to a lotion or moisturizer and then apply to skin
Sensitive Areas to be Avoided:
- Some facial areas, such as the skin around the eyes
- Eyes and inner ears
- Broken, damaged, or otherwise injured skin
INTERNALLY - Because of doTERRA's purity, many of their oils are recommended for internal use. Ingesting oils allows us to get the most out of every drop. Although you do not have to take essential oils internally to notice incredible benefits, you may notice a substantial difference. You can place drops directly under your tongue, put in a beverage or by using an empty veggie capsule. Make sure to check the supplements facts on the bottle. If the bottle doesn't contain supplemental facts then that oil isn't recommended for internal consumption.
Effective Methods of Internal Application:
- Use oils in recipes for cooking or baking to replace fresh or dried herbs and spices
- Remember that essential oils are much more potent than dried or fresh herbs and spices, so start with a very small amount
- For more potent oils, it may be better to administer them by toothpicks (dip the end of a clean toothpick into the oil and then add to the food) rather than drops
- Add essential oils to water, smoothies, milk, tea, or other drinks
- Take essential oils internally in a veggie capsule or add to a small amount of applesauce or yogurt