I read a survey from 2016 that reported close to 30% of American adults out of 4,000 have problems sleeping. My own little personal poll of 100 people is indicating that number is on the rise in a HUGE way. It was over 90%! Now, this is a bit biased – these are people all looking for natural solutions to help them sleep better. And I think I should note (in case you’re reading this several years in the future from when I’m writing it) that it’s the year 2020 – the year of the global pandemic. Regardless, the point is that TONS of people are struggling with sleep and I’d like to offer a bit of advice.
I feel I’m somewhat of an expert in the area since I suffered for over two decades with insomnia – both in falling asleep and staying asleep. I will say that I was able to correct my sleep issues within three weeks of using natural solutions, but every person is different. I’m confident though, if you are tired of being tired, and patient with the process, I can help you!
Before I dive into some of the natural solutions that could possibly become your sleep saviors, let me share a couple other, non-product, suggestions that have been scientifically proven to help. I’ll forewarn you, some of these are easier said than done, and I did try all of them too with little to no help other than it solidified a great bedtime routine. So, I encourage you to try these too, you have nothing to lose.
1) Cool Temperature – lowering the thermostat, to a cool but comfortable temperature, can help your body lower its core temperature which is a natural way to signal our body that it’s time to sleep. 2) Quiet & Relaxing Environment – help create the right sleeping environment, but making your bedroom tranquil, inviting, and a place you look forward to sleeping in. This can be playing music softly, cozy bedding, great pillow and mattress, etc.
3) Limit Fluids & Food – it probably goes without saying the caffeine and alcohol shouldn’t be consumed close to bedtime, and I’m sure you’ve heard you should eat late. But what about water? This one was shocking to me and probably the hardest one to do. Experts suggest that we stop our water intake at least 2 hours before our bedtime.
4) Turn off Screens – yes, sadly for some of us it’s imperative that we shut the laptop, walk away from our computers and most importantly put your phone down. The National Sleep Foundation recommends that we stop using electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
Once you’ve mastered these free bedtime habits, let’s move on to incorporating some essential oils into the mix. I’m going to give you the most popular suggestions for the masses, some of which I do personally, and others are broad suggestions. I’m happy to share my personal success protocol with you, but will save that for a one on one conversation.
1) Take 1-2 Serentiy and/or Copaiba Softgels 30 minutes before bed to help calm the mind and body.
2) Diffuse in the bedroom with your favorite nighttime blend. This can vary a ton based on personal preference, but some fan favorites are: Lavender, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Breathe, Serenity or Copaiba oils or any combo of those.
3) Apply Breathe on chest to open airways and promote clear breathing.
4) Apply one drop of Serenity to the bottom of your feet. More specifically if you put on your big toe, on the reflexology chart that correlates to your brain, so that’s an ideal spot in shutting off the mental chatter. Or create a blend of oils that you can roll on the bottom of your feet/toe.
Here’s a Sleep Better Protocol that includes an optional nightly roller, diffusing, supplementation and some suggestions for using essential oils within your lifestyle routine that can help with calming the mind and body. Real quick, because I haven’t mentioned them yet and it’s on this protocol – the Lifelong Vitality Supplements are highly recommended for optimal health. Basically, these are designed to bring our bodies into alignment – to “right all wrongs.” I will say these, Lifelong Vitality, supplements are a game changer, and I can personally vouge for their greatness. Even better than my personal kudos, is that dōTERRA offers a 30-day money-back guarantee with them.
Consistency and developing a bedtime routine that’s right for you will be the key to your success. Are you squirming to get your hands on these products!? If you already have a doTERRA account, you know you're set up to get any of those products for 25% off. If you don't have a doTERRA account yet, I've curated three different options that would be a great place to start.
SIMPLE SOLUTIONS - If you truly don’t want to dabble with much else right now, I highly recommend this 4 oil and Deep Blue Rub combo. I promise you’ll use these 4 oils way more than you realize (don’t worry I’ll tell you how). Plus if you have any aches and discomforts or are a workout fanatic the Deep Blue Rub is going to be your BFF. Click here to get started with the Simple Solutions + Copaiba - $140 HEALTHY START - If you’re ready to start your wellness journey and feel like sleep is just ONE of the areas you’re looking to support, this kit will give you a solid foundation for a medicine cabinet makeover, detoxing your home and so much more. I’ve added the Serentiy Softgels and Oil, so you’ll have specific sleep supporting products. Click here to get started with the Healthy Start + Serenity Combo - $205 I'm more than happy to hop on a call and discuss options for your specific needs. You can shoot me a quick Contact or schedule a time to chat, with a free 30 minute Wellness Consultation. I'm here to help support you along your journey, so please don't hesitate to reach out.