The immune system is responsible for protecting your body from environmental threats - helping the body stay healthy and protected against potential threats. To do so, the immune system uses a variety of cells, tissues, and organs, many of which are shared by other body systems. The immune system’s first line of defense is your skin. It acts as a barrier that keeps invaders out.
Mucous membranes in your nose, mouth, and throat also protect your body from invaders by trapping potential threats and keeping them from invading the body. When environmental threats get past these defenses, white blood cells kick into action. White blood cells find invaders, tag them as harmful, and destroy them. But that’s not all—they also remember the invaders so that if they try to attack you again, your body can stop them even faster. White blood cells are made and stored in a variety of places inside the body, such as the tonsils, thymus, lymph nodes, bone marrow, and spleen.
Maintaining a strong body and healthy immune system requires several elements come together in harmony—things like diet, exercise, stress, sleep, exposure to toxins, and medical care must all be addressed properly in order for the body to work as it should. Being out of whack in any of these areas can lead to altered immune responses and increased risk for health issues.
LIVING A WELLNESS LIFESTYLE
EAT RIGHT: Fueling your body with the nutrients it needs is the foundation of lifelong health and vitality.
EXERCISE: Nearly every system of the body, from cardiovascular to respiratory, benefits from physical activity.
REST & MANAGE STRESS: Develop routines and use natural solution products to support your efforts in creating an atmosphere that encourages rest and relaxation.
REDUCE TOXIC LOAD: A toxin is any substance that places undue stress on the body and vital organs. We're exposed to toxins in our air, environment, and sadly, in almost everything we can buy at store - personal care items, cleaning solutions, candles, air fresheners, food containers, water bottles, and the list goes on.
INFORMED SELF CARE: The key is to be proactive verses reactive. Most things (about 80%) can be treated at home with natural solutions.
PROACTIVE MEDICAL CARE: Be aware of what your body is needing and always seek professional medical care when necessary - you know your body best, so advocate for yourself if/when you do visit the doctor.
3 TIPS FOR KEEPING A STRONG IMMUNITY - ALL SEASON LONG
The first thing to do is limit the exposure pathways in and out of your body - mouth, ears, nose, eyes, and skin. What's great is you already know the best ways to minimize your exposure. Thoroughly washing your hands, covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, and not touching your eyes are the most common and effective solutions. Using essential oils is another excellent way to keep yourself, your space, and the air around you clean.
Hopefully you're already living the wellness lifestyle (above). If not, you can start by eating right, exercising, managing stress, getting quality sleep and reducing your toxic load. These key actions will help you strengthen your immunity each and every day.
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, things slip through the cracks. When that happens, you need to be able to respond and address the effects. There’s a wide variety of essential oils and natural solution products that provide soothing support, comfort our symptoms, and help us recover quickly.
5 NATURAL PRODUCTS TO BOOST THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
• On Guard® Family: The Protective Blend is a proprietary combination of Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus and Rosemary that supports healthy immune function when used internally* and contains cleansing properties. This powerful blend can be used daily in a variety of ways to support the body’s natural antioxidant defenses. Diffuse the essential oil or apply one drop to the bottoms of the feet, take 1-2 On Guard+ Softgels, use the Sanitizing Mist to kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria, the Foaming Hand Wash to clean and soften hands, or any of the other On Guard® Family of products to support your bodies immune system throughout each and every day.
• Frankincense: Often referred to as the King of Essential Oils because of its powerful health benefits. Frankincense supports healthy cellular function, promotes relaxation and balanced moods, boosts the immune and respiratory systems, and supports smooth, healthy skin. place a drop under your tongue each morning for daily, proactive, support.
• Oregano: Powerful cleansing properties supports the immune, respiratory, and digestive systems.* Apply diluted to the bottoms of the feet, take 1-2 drops in an empty veggie capsule, or add a drop to your next batch of spaghetti sauce.
• Lifelong Vitality Supplements: Full of essential nutrients, metabolism benefits, and powerful antioxidants designed to help promote energy, health, and lifelong vitality.
• Copaiba Oil or Softgels: Take 1-2 capsules or put 1-3 drops of oil under your tongue to support the health of the cardiovascular, immune, digestive and respiratory systems.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
doTERRA has a collection of immune supporting products perfectly curated in their Immunity Wellness Program.
Check out the blog post I wrote and see if it might be a good fit for you.
My go-to essential oil concoction when I need a little extra boost in immune support is what the doTERRA oil community lovingly refers to as FLOOT. In a 10mL roller combine: 10 drops Frankincense, Lemon, On Guard®, and Tea Tree, and 5 drops Oregano. Top with a carrier oil, like Fractionated Coconut Oil, and apply to the bottoms of your feet and/or on your spine up to 3 times per day as needed. If you're a fan of internal consumption, do 1-3 drops of each in an empty veggie capsule a few times a day up to 10 days.
I know there really are a plethora of choices when it comes to supporting your body naturally. Aside from products or essential oils, you can do things like exposing yourself to some good ol' fashion sunshine - getting in the sun at least 20 minutes a day can help boost your immune system naturally. Couple that 20 minutes with walk in some fresh air and you're really using your time wisely. Hydration is key as well. Make sure to drink about half your body weight in ounces each day. The biggest tip I can give you is develop a routine using natural solution products that fit into your day and lifestyle with ease. As a holistic health & lifestyle coach I'm happy to help you develop a plan that will keep things simple and set you up for success. All you have to do is ask!