Although our bathrooms tend to be the smallest rooms in our home they have the most surface area to clean to ward off germs, bacteria, and mold to name a few. 52% of Americans say their #1 most dreaded cleaning task is in the bathroom - the tub and toilet specifically. The American Cleaning Institute's National Cleaning Survey revealed that 88% of participants indicated that their toilet is cleaned the most often, and 46% said that their bathroom gets a deep cleaning more frequently than other rooms in their home.
Tips to Keep Your Bathroom Fresher - Longer
1) Mist shower walls with an all-purpose cleaner right after showering while the walls are still warm and wet. This will help minimize mildew and residual soap build-up and you just spray and go.
2) Use reusable or DIY wipes (recipe in Kitchen post
) or cleaning cloths to wipe down mirrors, faucet handles, countertops and outside of toilet and handle.
3) Tidy the toilet with a toilet pod (and quick brush) as needed.
4) Wipe off sink basin and handles to dry. This will minimize water, soap scum and toothpaste spots.
Continuing the Healthy Home Series, we're clearly sliding into the bathroom. Forget the toxic chemicals of traditional cleansers and try these do-it-yourself (DIY) recipes using natural solutions to help quickly eliminate tough odors, refresh and leave your bathroom sparkling.
ALL PURPOSE CLEANER
• 1/4 cup White Vinegar
• 1 3/4 cup Water
• 30 drops Lemon oil (or essential oil of choice)
Add all ingredients to a 16oz (200mL) glass spray bottle. Shake thoroughly before each use. Spray on surfaces and wipe clean.
Use for all surfaces, windows, mirrors, toys, etc.
Tip: If you don't want to DIY an all-purpose cleaner, you can use the On Guard® Protective Blend Concentrate Cleaner. Bonus you can boost it with 5 drops of your favorite cleaning essential oil.
BATHROOM SCRUB CLEANER
• 3/4 rounded cup of Baking Soda
• 1/4 cup unscented Castile soap or On Guard® Protective Blend Concentrate Cleaner
• 1 tbsp Water
• 1 tbsp Vinegar
• 5-10 drops of Lemon oil (Wild Orange or preferred citrus essential oil)
Combine all in a bowl and stir. The consistency should resemble a soft paste. Store in an airtight container.
Apply scrub to desired area, let set 5 minutes, scrub, rinse and dry.
TOILET BOWL PODS
• 1 cup Baking Soda
• 1/4 cup Citric Acid
• 1 1/2 tbsp unscented Castile Soap
• 15 drops Purify® Cleansing Blend essential oil (or other desired essential oils)
Stir the baking soda and citric acid together until combined. Slowly mix in castile soap and
Purify® Cleansing Blend oil, stirring constantly until the mixture resembles wet sand. Pack the
pod mixture into a mold and let dry at least 4 hours. If the mixture expands above the mold,
firmly press back down. Once dry, remove the pods from the mold and store in an airtight
To use, drop one into the toilet bowl, wait until the pod stops bubbling, and scrub.
MOLD & MILDEW REMOVER
• 1/2 cup Water
• 1/2 cup Vinegar or Hydrogen Peroxide
• 3 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca) & Lemon oil
• 1 drop Clove oil
In 8oz glass spray bottle, combine water and vinegar (or hydrogen peroxide) and essential oils. Shake well, spray on location - let sit for 30 min before scrubbing and rinsing.
• 1/2 cup Water
• 2-3 drops doTERRA On Guard® Protective oil blend
Fill glass with 1/2 cup boiled water. Add 2-3 drops doTERRA On Guard essential oil blend. Use toothbrush to mix ingredients. Leave toothbrush(es) in mixture for 2 hours to overnight. Rinse well before using. *Note: this recipe is for single time use only.
Hopefully you find these natural solution bathroom recipes to be easy and effective in every way. Make sure to check out the rest of the Healthy Home Series
if you've missed any. This series is taking us room by room throughout your home to help reduce your toxic load, unveil our homes hidden toxins and teach you how your can empower your cleaning with natural plant-powered cleaning.