Fourth of July has become much like Christmas in our fun traditions and extravagant celebrations. I'm all for it! However, take a moment and start off your day with a little reflection and gratitude on the magnitude of why we get to celebrate this special day. Whether you travel, enjoy fireworks, take in a parade, go to a concert, host a party or attend a barbecue, soak all of joy into your life and share your contagious smile with those around you.
Below I'm sharing some fun and festive patriotic recipes. Many of them are delicious foods, but I've even got a diffuser blend and sugar scrub to bring more of your senses into your patriotic festivities.
SIMPLE MINTY BROWNIES
Add 5-8 drops Peppermint essential oil to your brownie batter before baking. If you're adding frosting, which of course you'll want to if you're making them patriotic, add 1-2 drops of Peppermint oil to the frosting before decorating.
PATRIOTIC FRUIT FLAG with WILD ORANGE PRETZELS
2 pints raspberries
2 pints blueberries
1 bag cherries
2 c powered sugar
4 c plain Greek yogurt
3 c vanilla protein powder (doTERRA's is fantastic)
4-7 drops Wild Orange essential oil
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Combine the sugar, yogurt, protein powder, and Wild Orange essential oil.
- Dip the pretzels into the yogurt mixture one at a time, using chopsticks or tongs.
- Arrange the coated pretzels on a wire cooking rack with a baking sheet underneath it.
- Turn the oven off and put in the wire rack and baking sheet.
- Leave the oven door slightly ajar.
- After several hours, when the coating is hardened and set, take the pretzels out of the oven.
- Arrange fruit, berries, and yogurt covered pretzels in the shape of an American flag.
16oz strawberries, sliced
1 pint raspberries
1 pint blackberries
1 pint blueberries
4 bananas, sliced in think chunks
¼ c agave natural sweetener
2 tbls hot water
4 drops Wild Orange essential oil
2 drops Cinnamon essential oil
Mix the agave, hot water, and essential oils together. Drizzle over the fruit and stir together well before serving.
PATRIOTIC SUGAR SCRUB
¼ c freeze-dried strawberries or raspberries
¼ c freeze-dried blueberries
1 c white sugar
¾ c Fractionated Coconut Oil
6 drops doTERRA Cheer® essential oil
glass container with lid
- Place freeze-dried raspberries and blueberries in separate large plastic bags, and crush with a rolling pin.
- In three separate bowls, add ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup sugar, and ½ cup sugar.
- In bowls with ¼ cup sugar, add crushed freeze-dried red berries to one and crushed freeze-dried blueberries to the other.
- In each bowl, add ¼ cup Fractionated Coconut Oil, and 2 drops dōTERRA Cheer Uplifting Blend essential oil and stir until combined. If mixture looks too dry or wet, add more sugar or Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- In an airtight container, layer the sugar scrub in a red, white, and blue pattern.
- To use, take a handful of scrub into hands and rub together until sugar dissolves. Rinse under warm water and pat dry.
RED, WHITE & BLUE POPSICLES
¼ c blueberries
1-3 strawberries, sliced
1 c vanilla yogurt
5-8 drops Wild Orange essential oil
Stir all ingredients together and freeze in a mold with a stick.
BERRY LEMONADE YOGURT BARK
Lemon essential oil
Stir 1-2 drops Lemon essential oil into a large container of plain Greek yogurt. Spread yogurt onto a pan lined with parchment paper. Place cut strawberries and blueberries onto yogurt. Freeze for 3-4 hours. Break into pieces and enjoy.
RED, WHITE & BLUE DIFFUSER BLEND
Add 1 drop Passion, 1 drops Purify and 2 drops Juniper Berry to a ultrasonic diffuser (uses water) and enjoy the clean and invigorating explosion of aroma. Passion is the Oil of Creativity - feel motivated, spontaneous and childlike. Purify is the Oil of Purification - cleanse and release. Juniper Berry is the Oil of Night - a sense of peace and protection.
Enjoy your Fourth of July celebration and take this advice from a firecracker: leave a little sparkle wherever you go, shoot for the stars, don't let your light fade, and always go out with a bang!