Once upon a time I used to be a pretty good athlete. In high school I played Varsity level soccer, basketball and volleyball, making captain on both my soccer and basketball teams. I enjoyed practices, getting to play the sport(s) I loved, while hanging out with my friends. The extremely beneficial side benefit to playing sports was how in-shape I was. The sometimes extremely painful side effect to playing sports was the nasty injuries I sustained.
Over the course of my 4 years of playing 3 sports at a competitive level I had about 20 sprained ankles, roughly 10 on each side. Ouch! The elasticity in your tendons just don’t go back to “normal” after each injury. Coupled with the fact that I probably did not allow myself the appropriate time to heal. I ended up just tapping my ankles up so I could continue playing. Silly, I know, but that leads me to my topic, competitive sports - I wish I had oils when...
One of the first doTERRA products that immediately jumps out is doTERRA® Deep Blue Rub. Deep Blue is a topical cream that contains strong soothing & cooling properties, which can offer comfort to sore muscles before and after exercise.
Next I want to highlight seven essential oils that could have been game-changers for me:
- Breathe® Respiratory Blend - Maintains feelings of clear airways and easy breathing while minimizing the effects of seasonal threats. doTERRA Breathe can be applied topically to the chest, back, or bottom of feet, or diffused at nighttime to calm the senses and promote a restful sleep.
- OnGuard® Protective Blend - Can be taken internally on a daily basis to maintain healthy immune function and support healthy cardiovascular function.* It can also be used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner. When diffused, doTERRA On Guard helps purify the air, and can be very energizing and uplifting.
- Lavender - Its calming and relaxing qualities, when taken internally, continue to be Lavender’s most notable attributes. Applied topically, Lavender is frequently used to reduce the appearance of skin imperfections. Add to bath water to soak away stress or apply to the temples and the back of the neck. Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet to relax and prepare for a restful night’s sleep.
- Melaleuca - Best known for its purifying properties. It can be used to cleanse and purify the skin and nails and to support a healthy complexion. Taken internally, Melaleuca promotes healthy immune function.* Melaleuca is frequently used on occasional skin irritations to soothe the skin and diffusing Melaleuca will help purify and freshen the air.
- Peppermint - Frequently used in toothpaste and chewing gum for oral hygiene, Peppermint also helps alleviate occasional stomach upset and promotes healthy respiratory function when taken internally.* Place a drop in palm of hand and inhale for a mid-day pick-me-up or rub on temples, across forehead and neck to cool you down and/or to relieve head tension.
- Frankincense – It’s soothing and beautifying properties are used to rejuvenate skin and help reduce the appearance of imperfections when applied topically. As the king of oils, Frankincense is known to support healthy cellular function when used internally.* When inhaled or diffused, Frankincense promotes feelings of peace, relaxation, satisfaction, and overall wellness.
- Lemon – Taken internally, Lemon provides cleansing and digestive benefits and supports healthy respiratory function.* When diffused, Lemon is very uplifting and energizing and has been shown to help improve mood.
In high school I would have carried around this Athlete’s Kit.
It’s got the first 5 oils listed above, along with the Deep Blue Rub in a convenient carrying case. I would have personally added in the Lemon because lemon in water not only taste good and keep you drinking it, but it also acts as a natural and gentle detox. Frankincense for me is a no brainer! One I highly recommend taking internally every day – I personally do one drop under my tongue every morning. With the myriad of health benefits associated with Frankincense, including reducing inflammation, for an athlete (and every single sole on the planet) Frank is a MUST!
Whether your a high school jock, professional athlete or somewhere in between and you want to be supported through your oil journey I'm happy to help. Feel free to contact me with questions or click here to get the Athlete's Kit above.
xoxo - Danette
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.